Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Off to a Busy Start

It it now Wednesday, July 6 just before 9hr. (9:00am) It is a beautiful morning, and I enjoyed my first morning coffee on our balcony overlooking the village.
Petit déjeuner
Steve and I have been busy since my arrival on Saturday afternoon. Along with trying to track down the missing suitcase, and arrange delivery, we have been gardening, and putzing about.
The first big job was the garden. I began to clean out the overgrown vines and weeds along our fence with the neighbour. You couldn't see that I had cleaned up the garden, and edged it back in March when the hyacinths were in bloom. It is amazing how nature takes over, its just too bad it doesn't take over with wild flowers or other attractive growths. I worked down the fence towards the "garden" area. The previous owner had covered the patch with black plastic, so I began to pull back the blanket. There were a few roots, but the plastic had performed well, with the exception that it didn't keep out the ants. I uncovered quite a nest. Using every tool in my shed, I got a small plot of the garden ready to plant. I probably should read up on how to plant lettuce and cucumbers, but it will be an "adventure". I do have a neighbour, and tried to emulate his garden at least in looks. If the seeds fail, the plant store had lettuce plants I could always transplant. The ants seem to have found new accommodations, so I don't have to use the ant killer, which probably wouldn't have been a wise move in a vegetable garden.
Along with the vegetable garden, I took and cleaned out the flower pots and planted some impatiens, geraniums and petunias. I also bought a lavender plant, since we are in France, so now the deck looks a bit better. Some day we will have to redo it, but it works just fine. Steve and I also tried to fix my rain barrel. The facet leaked, leaving no rain water in the barrel. We will add this to the ongoing repair list, as the first attempt failed.... back to Brico Marché (the local Home Depot).
Along with work in the garden, the past few days have been topped up with walks through the village to the grocery, garden and hardware stores. Also, we stopped by the pub on Sunday night to watch France defeat Iceland.
Yesterday, the Tour de France passed through Le Dorat, the next village along the train line. Eleven minutes later we wandered up through the village to find the course. Being such a small village, it wasn't hard to find, also the loud music and racing cars of the "Caravan" gave away its location. The Caravan is a very quickly moving parade of the sponsors of the Tour. They pass by tossing out advertising souvenirs to the crowds that have gathered early along the road way. The family next to us were chasing down anything that came their way, and filled the shopping bags that other sponsors had already tossed out. You had to be aware of incoming flying souvenirs, as most tried to toss them to your feet, but others were at face level. I was able to catch a France flag with BIC advertising on one side, and a squishy cow key chain from the official cheese or milk sponsor. The elderly woman sitting next to us looked longingly at it, so I offered it to her. A few items fell and bounced off Steve, but they were quickly scooped up by an gentleman standing next to us. All is fair in love and Tour de France "stuff".
With time to kill before the actual race, we headed back to the village square and enjoyed a beer or two before returning to our position at the intersection of the D4bis, D675 et Rue Robert Laypayrière.  Near the estimated time, the front 4 cyclists raced past our location accompanied by their entourage of cars. This was followed very soon by the peloton. We had our cameras ready, but it was an event where we should have just witnessed and not tried to record it. The peloton moved by so fast, that all I really can remember of the event was the rush of air they generated. But looking back at my pictures and video, it was an amazing, but short lived event.
Steve in the Fountain Square
After the race we spent some time wandering the village again before the train trip back to home. In the brocante shop (flea market) Steve found a pair of binoculars at a great price. It was a perfect afternoon out. On our walk back from the train station home, we stopped by another second hand store to see if they had any curtains for us to use in the attic room to break up the space. We found 4 panels for only 15 euros. A great deal considering the Eco-mart had one panel for 10 euros. You never know what you will find in Richocette.
So today, I have updated this blog, updated my I phone, done some laundry, went for a nice country walk, and now we still wait for ma valise. During the phone call on Monday we arranged for delivery on Wednesday after 2. They were going to deliver it yesterday. So what started out to be delivery on Sunday, turned to Tuesday, and we had to postpone it to Wednesday. I still won't believe it until I see the bag..... and now I see it. It was a great relief when the delivery van arrived with the suitcase. As I had broken a few rules such as having my prescription pills in the bag, ( I did have enough until Saturday with me), and I meant to take a picture of the bag, and ensure my name and address were inside the bag in case the luggage tag went missing, but one gets busy.....






























2 comments:

Mary MP said...

A great beginning! I'm glad your suitcase came home. Have a great summer. I look forward to the continuing adventure. Do love those second hand shops... x/o, m

Tops said...

Great to see you up and running with blogspot. Are you using their app?
Thanks for the handy tip about labelling the inside of your luggage and we will certainly use the idea.
Enjoy your holiday.
Regards Rob and Tric